Sunday 11 April 2010

Once a Bombayite. Always a Bombayite



Bombay (to me, it shall always remain so), the city of a million (if not more) dreams. Bombay, the city of a million screams. Bombay, the city of a million promises. Bombay, the city of a million broken dreams.


Bombay is found on the west coast of India on the coast with the Arabian Sea/ Indian Ocean. It is the biggest city of India with 17,6 million inhabitants (including suburbs) it is also the second largest city of the world.



Bombay, the city that never sleeps, is the commercial capital of India. It’s pulsating, alive, always on the move, vibrant, fun and much more. Bombay, symbolizes the spirit of vibrant and changing India. The history goes back to the seventeenth century. Once a cluster of seven islands, Mumbai was presented to King Charles II in 1661 as part of the dowry when he married Princess Catherine de Braganza of Portugal.




Over a period of time Bombay has transformed itself into a city with thriving markets, business houses, and different communities reflecting a cosmopolitan way of life, rarely seen elsewhere. It represents the ever-changing face of today's India- the old coupled with the dynamic and vibrant new, and yet the heart of the city is filled with Indian customs and values.

I was schooled at one of the best, Carmel of St.Joseph and then spent best years of college life at undoubtedly the finest institution in the city, Sophia College. College life is always demanding and filled with the pressure of oneself among friends more than the real purpose of education. But at Sophia’s there was no discrimination on the basis of clothes, hairstyles et al. Plus, Mum had allowed me to wax my legs. So, I was presentable now, if one could ignore the unshaped eyebrows. After graduating in History, I moved to study Journalism. Where? Bombay College of Journalism. Why? I don’t know still. But, I am bloody glad I did. Not because it was sarcastically called “Colombia University of Journalism”, as most of my batch mates feel. But, because I got to know a Bombay that I’d never seen, heard of or, read about.

During my Post-Grad Journalism course I got a chance to work with ESPN as a trainee reporter and travelled the city to cover stories and each time even though I lived in the same city I felt the energy level rise. Covering each assignment was different; everyday was a new story to tell. And as a journalist, one travels and meets people from every walk of life, the true beauty of the profession. I, too, was learning about the city in the process of work.


I met addicts for the first time. Some were addicted to the high life, some to their work, a lot of them were hooked onto marijuana, but, most of them were high on one common thing- chasing a dream. And, not one dream, mind you. Dreams. Lots of them. Everybody worth his salt craves instant glory. I don’t blame them. It’s the city. Bombay is the culprit. 

Bombay is a silent killer. It kills innocence, it smothers emotions, it flushes out romance, it murders mediocrity, and buries lakhs of dreams. To survive Bombay, one needs more than just a house and money. To combat a killer, one needs to be a killer. At least, be able to fight like one. Bombay is like a giant tidal wave. If you let it ride you over, you’ll drown. You must know, or learn how to ride it. Enough of literature has been devoted to Bombay and its charms. A lot has been written about what lies beneath that glamorous façade. Yet, we fall prey to it. And, once you’re here you cannot go back the same person. You either stand your ground, and battle it out or, you go back a battered, beaten soul. The choice is yours, though it isn’t an easy one.

Moving to England and living in the Queen’s land is beautiful I’ve met tons of people from all over the world at University. But home is home and Bombay remains a city that has its charm despite sheltering Asia’s largest slum which won accolades for the movie ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ to the world’s most expensive estate, Malabar Hill.

Bombay has also been a target for terrorist and natural calamities. Despite every obstacle the city and its citizens have shown their resilience, we are fighters, it comes naturally to us. People from other cities of the country cannot fathom this attitude, its exclusive to the people of Bombay. You have to fight, you have to fall, you have to rise, you have to move on, you have to dream, you have to achieve, and you simply have to just do it all..! And if you can’t keep up with the energy of Bombay, she offers you a comeback always. The beautiful seaside will help you cool off the heat, the fancy malls will provide you incredible sale and if you are not the type who feels irritated by crowds take a ride into the local trains.

As I conclude this post, I think of a dear friend who is determined to make a cut into Bombay and he is European. A strong willed and a go getter who thinks he can ‘adapt’ and ‘survive’ Bombay. I have issued warnings about what he could expect on his arrival. He feels he is ready and I will lend my supports but that’s all I can offer and maybe a chilled sugarcane juice. The rest would be his cross to bear to survive Bombay. I hope my dear friend can experience and live the Bombay Dream. Like many who share the same vision but a few survive it, I hope my friend would too.

Dreams are made here, dreams are broken but most importantly you learn to fight. And, there are no antibiotics or, vaccine to kill it. Just our minds and souls to tame it..  




No comments: